For many investment advisors, the ’08 financial crisis and COVID-19 pandemic highlighted just how valuable the Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) model can be for their businesses. With more freedom and control to do what’s best for their clients, independence has helped advisors soar when the odds are stacked against them. In this four-part white paper, we share insights from real RIAs on how the RIA model has helped them navigate turbulent times, the unique advantages they’ve enjoyed through independence, and why now is the best time for you to make the transition.
Download this white paper to discover how the RIA model has helped advisors thrive, with discussions centered around:
- The strengths of the independent model, with firsthand accounts from RIAs who overcame challenges and better served their clients
- Facing the future head-on and how advisors are positioning their firms to beat future challenges
- How independence, and the flexibility it offers, is within your reach
- Seizing the opportunity to break away when it is needed most
Schwab Tech Smarts, Insight #1
The COVID-19 crisis has kept our industry on its toes, pushing firms and clients to find new ways to communicate and collaborate in spite of new difficulties. If anything, it has underscored how important it is to use technology to your benefit.
This case study covers how advisors like Mike McCann have used technology to automate routine tasks, stay connected with clients and colleagues, and ensure they provide responsive service for every client. His firm, Perspective Financial Services, has used technology to power growth in the face of these challenges – growth for both their clients and their firm.
In reading Mike’s story and his advice, you too can learn to apply these technology tools to your own practice and be better prepared to take on the unexpected.
We’ll cover powerful and practical tech insights and guidance, including:
- Ways technology can help you anticipate client needs and deepen relationships
- How technology can make firms more agile and secure
- Advice based on real-world success
Download this case study to learn how your firm can power a better client experience.
The Economics of Independence
The Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) model is an opportunity to build your own brand and put your clients first – but how do the economics work? Is the transition to independence worth the cost? Does the earning potential compare to wirehouse and independent broker-dealer models?
In Schwab Advisor Services’ latest white paper, The Economics of Independence, we evaluate key areas related to the financial success of a firm. By comparing revenue potential, cost control, and business equity, you can have a better idea of how the economics of independence stack up against those of your current practice.
Download this white paper to explore the rewards of independence.
Mastering the Moment
As a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA), knowing how the industry will change and what tomorrow’s clients will want can make you unstoppable. At Schwab Advisor ServicesTM, our mission is to equip you with the innovative products and solutions that firms and investment advisors need to maximize their potential.
In this white paper, we paint a picture of the future of the investment industry – and how independent RIAs will thrive in it – with attention given to these specific areas:
- The needs of high-net-worth investors
- Growth through mergers and acquisition (M&A) activity
- Cultures centered on innovation
- Technology that moves us forward
- The era of dramatic pricing changes
These critical trends have put RIAs in a position to excel, and as a trusted custodian, we are here to help you seize the opportunity. Download this white paper to learn more.
Choosing Your Custodian
There’s no denying that the Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) model brings more freedom and control to those who pursue it. But did you know that choosing the right custodian can make an even greater impact on your future? Schwab Advisor Services™ goes far beyond the basics, with in-depth assistance to help you choose the business model and solutions that are best for you – and continues to support you for the long haul.
Our white paper can help you decide what’s important to consider when choosing a custodian. We’ll go over various topics, including:
- Four essential steps to success
- Different services a custodian can offer
- The value of a benchmark study
Download this white paper to see how the right custodian can impact your business.
What Kind of Independent Advisor Will You Be?
The kind of support a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) receives is based on their personal and professional goals. Whether you want to pursue independence as an owner, an affiliate, or a teammate, Schwab can help you through the transition and support you throughout the life of your business.
In this white paper, we highlight the five most common RIA profiles while exploring topics like:
- The different levels of control an RIA can have over their business
- The benefits of platform provider support, upfront financial support, and existing infrastructure
- Ways to pursue independence without being self-employed
No matter which path to independence you choose, custodians and platform providers will be ready to help you reach your full potential. Download this white paper to learn more.
The RIA Roadmap
Taking the leap to start your own Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) firm gives you the opportunity to build your business and serve your clients, your way – but you're not alone. Custodians and platform providers are ready to help you reach your full potential. Schwab Advisor Services™ has brought together more than 30 years of industry-leading expertise and insight in The RIA Roadmap. Download this guide to start your journey to independence, with discussions on:
- Defining your business strategy
- Preparing for legal and compliance issues
- Connecting with resources to help set up your office
- Converting your accounts
- Strengthening your practice
More and more advisors are choosing independence to create the future they imagine for themselves and their clients. Custodians and platform providers work together to help position advisor teams to reach their full potential.
As a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA), you serve clients and design your business the way you know is best. Download this white paper and take a closer look at:
- RIA channel growth
- Benefits of independence
- Differences among RIA models
- Economics of RIA firms
- Planning considerations
- The custodian’s role
You’ll also receive time-tested steps and a roadmap for making your own transformation.
Learn why billion-dollar teams are breaking away to pursue the independent model and redefine the advisor industry.
- Discover the converging forces fueling the Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) movement.
- Learn the advantages teams gain as RIAs.
- Explore the highly evolved support ecosystem including custodians and platform providers.
- See why experts are calling this the dawn of a new RIA era.
Download this white paper to learn more about how the RIA model is changing the advisor industry.
The hybrid advisor model is an ideal path for those who wish to maintain a commission-based business while building an advisory practice. Exploring a few key questions can help you identify your business goals and decide whether this is the right model for you.
This white paper includes important questions to consider:
- What is your business objective?
- What is your investment philosophy?
- What support will you need?
- What are your economic and ownership goals?
No matter which path to independence you choose, custodians and platform providers will be ready to help you reach your full potential. Download this white paper to understand the benefits of the hybrid Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) model.
Going Independent as a Hybrid RIA
In the last five years, the number of advisors moving to the independent Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) space has increased significantly, with custodians and platform providers working together to help advisors reach their full potential. This move to independence brings new opportunities with it, including unique paths like the hybrid RIA model. Hybrid RIAs maintain both a brokerage and advisory business – a combination that can benefit their clients and businesses alike.
Get an overview of the different types of hybrid models. See whether one aligns with your goals as you explore key topics:
- Momentum in the hybrid RIA channel
- The hybrid model defined
- Opportunity within the hybrid model
- Differences among the hybrid RIA models
Download this white paper to discover how the hybrid RIA model could help transform your business.
Charting Your Own Course
Why are more and more advisors choosing independence? The answer is simple: The Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) model has become more than a place to break free from tradition. Custodians and platform providers work together to help position advisor teams to reach their full potential. It's now the destination for those in search of a better way of doing business – one where more freedom and control allows both advisors and their clients to thrive.
As you embark on your journey, consider the:
- Growth of the RIA channel*
- Benefits of independence
- Differences among the five business models for the modern RIA
- Experiences of advisors who chose independence
Download this white paper to discover the five business models for the modern RIA.