Last December, months before travel restrictions and social distancing became the necessary norms, PIMCO joined CFOs from across the globe in Milan for the UN Global Compact’s Sustainable Development Goal (SDGs) Investment Forum to catalyze corporate financing for the SDGs.
As a co-chair of the CFO Taskforce for the SDGs, Scott Mather helped kick-start the initiative with a call to action:
“We will need investors and issuers to work together to broaden the market beyond green bonds to continue this effort and support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals.”
Nine months later, we are honored to co-launch the CFO Principles for Integrated SDG Investments and Finance to better align corporate financing and SDG investing. These principles seek to foster a market for corporate investments aligned with the 17 SDGs ranging from SDG 2–Zero Hunger; SDG 5–Gender Equality; and SDG 13–Climate Action.
September’s launch marks the achievement of one of the three objectives of the CFO Taskforce’s initiative:
Create a set of guiding principles (launched September 2020)
- Principle 1 – SDG impact thesis and measurement
- Principle 2 – Integrated SDG strategy and investments
- Principle 3 – Integrated corporate SDG finance
- Principle 4 – Integrated SDG communication and reporting
- Pioneer financial innovation to drive value
- Share outputs with stakeholders